Search This Blog

Monday, April 2, 2012

2012 Review #18: Mirror, Mirror



Mirror, Mirror

Rated PG
1 Hour 46 Minutes

Starring

Julia Roberts
Lily Collins
Armie Hammer
Nathan Lane

Story

An evil queen steals control of a kingdom and an exiled princess enlists the help of seven resourceful rebels to win back her birthright.

Rotten Tomatoes Score

50%
"Like most of Tarsem Singh's films, Mirror Mirror is undeniably beautiful -- but its treatment of the age-old Snow White fable lacks enough depth or originality to set it apart from the countless other adaptations of the tale."

My Grade

C+

I wasn't sure if Mirror, Mirror was supposed to be a spoof movie or just a silly little kids movie that the occasional adult might enjoy. It's yet another spin on the tale of Snow White and that dreadful evil Queen. This time it's in the form of a silly live action comedy. It's plays off like they are making fun of fairly tale movies, but still maintain the classic Disney story. Earlier this year Snow White became popular once again in the ABC Drama "Once Upon A Time" which has been a huge success for the network. Later in the year we will get a much darker version of the timeless story with "Snow White & The Huntsman" starring Charlize Theron and that wonderfully charming and always smiling Kristen Stewart. That one plays off as more of an action/drama. So Snow White appears to be all the rage right now.

Mirror, Mirror was just a really silly movie, and if that's all the movie was meant to be...then it worked and worked well. This is obviously not a movie to be taken all that seriously and I think it's geared more towards children, even though it has a few jokes and jabs that would probably fly right over a kids tiny little head. I liked some of the humor in the film, I'll admit I chuckled a few times. But it was more at the absurd campiness of it all. This was just such a random movie and had so much bizarre moments. But it was what it was. I think kids would enjoy this movie. Well mainly young girls from ages maybe 8-14 will get a good kick out of it. I thought I was maybe going to enjoy the movie because for some reason I thought it would be more like "Enchanted" a movie that makes fun of fairly tale movies. But this was a legit, yet corny, fair tale story movie that was only slightly making fun of itself. If it was attempting to be a spoof movie...then it really didn't a good job at that.



Julia Roberts was actually really great in the movie. She was my favorite part of the movie. She does the love to hate her villain really well in this film. Although it is kind of sad that she has to resort to doing silly roles and movies like this now. Then again...she does have kids so I suppose it makes sense. You don't really see a whole ton of her anymore though, and when she comes back, she does movies like Mirror, Mirror. Maybe her career is on a down slope. At any rate though, for what it's worth, she was fun in the film. Performance wise, she was the only one worth watching. Maybe I'm being to harsh towards a silly little Disney kids film...but I usually enjoy movies like this. They can be really entertaining to watch, but honestly I was bored throughout the film. It was funny at times, but far and few between. I didn't hear much other laughter in the theater either.

So Mirror, Mirror appears to be a movie with a very small, limited target audience. I can see why that particular target audience would enjoy the movie, but outside of that I don't think it will be all that enjoyable to everyone else. Maybe I'm wrong. I hope I am...because I love when other people enjoy movies that I don't. Does that sound weird? I don't know, but it's true. Eh, just go see The Hunger Games if you haven't already...if not, sure, go check out Mirror Mirror...you might like it right?

No comments:

Post a Comment